Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 89 and the Cowl Braid


In an effort to do more than just fur with the toy knitting machine, I found that fingering weight yarn actually plays nice with the clicking stitch maker. I fed my yarn (nearly 4 ounces of it) through the machine and ended up with a long tube. Coiling the tube around my arm twice first, I began weaving the remainder back and forth through the first 2 loops. This creates a continuous braid. A quick graft at the end and it really has no end at all!

If you don't have one of these machines, but do have endless amounts of patience or a desire to practice knitting in the round, you can easily make a tube in the traditional way. The machine made a tube that was 21 stitches around, but if you're making yours by hand you could do any number of stitches. I suggest making them looser than you would for socks so that your cowl will drape readily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comments! We do read and appreciate them all and try to answer questions if you post them!