Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 88 and Toyeticity


Back in the 90s when I was slightly younger and much more into cartoons, there was a short-lived show called Freakazoid. It was hilarious. Clearly written for an audience that was just a bit too old to be watching cartoons, there was a lot of humor that I appreciate more now that I'm a bit older.

The show mentioned a word: Toyetic. I really don't know if it was a real word prior to this series, but it surely must be a word by now! It basically describes a thing that could easily be made into a toy specifically if that thing had been seen on a TV show. Now, I don't think a knitting machine has ever been seen on any TV show, but it certainly does make for an interesting toy.

A very thoughtful cousin of mine had a toy knitting machine in her possession and gave it to me knowing that I was a yarnhead. The Sew Easy Knitting Machine. It's purple and pink and the yarn that comes with it is furry and purple and pink. This was obviously not marketed to boys. Anyway, I've been struggling with myself over what to do with this piece of equipment for a while. I tried it out a couple years back with rather unpleasant results. It skipped horrendously, it made loud frightening clickity clackity noises, and the resulting tube came out the bottom with nowhere to go since the tabletop would get in the way.

Here it turns out I wasn't using the darn thing correctly! I was following the directions! It turns out, I had to only use eyelash yarn, remove the handle and feet, and hug the thing against me while yanking on the resulting tube from underneath. It wasn't nearly as bad as it sounds, but it seems to me that the poor thing is only good for making tube scarves and really nothing else. I'm glad I tried it out though, and I'll probably hold onto it and play around. I'm sure there is more that I can do with a tube once I've figured out how to get other yarns to play nice with this bizarre piece of toyeticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you comments! We do read and appreciate them all and try to answer questions if you post them!